Sunday, October 28, 2012

Halloween Treats

I'm so excited to share my Halloween party foods with you. They turned out really great! These aren't quite the DIYS I was planning, but I did get a good step by step for my favorite party dish, The Mummy Meatloaf!


Now there are tons of mummy meatloaf recipes on the net. However, I wasn't very happy with how most of them use noodles as the mummy bandages. I'd seen one recipe that used biscuit dough and I thought that pie crust would make an even better wrapping and sure enough - it turned out great! I'd love to share the process with you!

Now for meatloaf I don't really follow a set recipe. Here's a best guess estimate though:

1 1/2 lbs of ground meat - I used half turkey and half beef
Chopped onion to taste
1 egg
Bread crumbs - I used Italian blend
Parmesan cheese
Worcestershire sauce
Dijon mustard
Pinch of salt and pepper

Meatloaf is so personal. Add whatever you like in a burger, you really can't go wrong! Start off by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Then add everything together in a bowl. Here's what all the ingredients look like combined:


Now mix everything up! By hand is the best way!


When baking meatloaf I like to try to wick the fat away as best I can. This time I tried baking the loaf on my pizza pan over a deep cookie sheet covered in foil. It seemed to work pretty well! After you mix up your ingredients, form your loaf into a rough skull shape. I made sort of an upside down teardrop with two holes for eyes.




Next we prebake the meatloaf before we add the mummy wrappings. I baked it for about 40 minutes. I checked the internal temperature with a meat thermometer and took it out when it was at about 120 degrees.


(Looks kind of gross, but I promise it works out!)

Now, I rolled out my pie crust and cut it into lots of strips. Some were shorter, some longer. Lay the strips out however you'd like to decorate your mummy. I left some space around the eyes and and pulled some of the wrappings out and ripped some to make him look extra raggedy.

After you wrap up your mummy, put him back in the oven. At first I followed the instructions for my pie crusts, but I found it was difficult to line the timing up. I ended up just checking it every 8-10 minutes until I had an internal temp of 160 degrees and the wrappings looked good. When I took him out I transferred him to a plate and added black olives to his eye sockets. He was ready to serve!

To accompany this guy I made a scary pasta salad with some fun colored pasta I found at Marshalls. Just pasta, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mozzarella cheese, diced tomatoes, and black olives.
Tasty and pretty good for you too.



And last but not least, for dessert I made a totally cute hairy-scary-spider cake!



He was super easy. Just a two layer chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, chocolate sprinkles, and chocolate twizzlers!


It was truly a scary Halloween feast! You can even see my "Scary Cobweb" decorations in this picture haha! Do you have any scary treats planned for Halloween? 

See you soon! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. :) What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...